Today was a definite rest day as I stayed in and had my own church, in a language that I could fully understand! One thing that was definitely refreshing was going through my online notes from reading Scripture and putting them in my actual journal. It helped me to see where God was over the last year or two – something I very much needed.
Lately I’ve been feeling slightly down as I look back at the last year or so. 2012 was a really rough year for me as I went through surgery, a bad breakup, physical therapy, a car accident, physical therapy again, started looking for a job change…
There were definite bright spots and through one of those I eventually learned that I had hidden my heart so deep because of pain that I had forgotten what it was like to feel. (Being in physical pain a lot probably complicated things as well!) While I had been making progress, that helped catapult me to the root of things.
2013 started with me “confronting the lie” (see this blog post that was recently published for what I mean) and getting to the bottom of some of the emotional pain and realizing a part was that I was angry with God. I’ve continued to work my way back up, but have still felt like my heart is distant.
Having been constantly traveling for the past seven months, it’s hard to stop and look back. I no longer have written reminders of truth hanging around my room as I don’t have a room (although Monday that changes!….somewhat…). So today was good for me to stop and see that God has been present and uplifting, it’s just me who has forgotten to meditate on the truths He’s been teaching me this entire time.
So, I thought I’d share some of the truths with the world so that maybe more than just me will be reminded that Almighty God is ever faithful and present and good.
- After grief, God shows compassion and love. He hears my cry and says “Do not fear.” Lamentations 3:31-33, 55-57
- He has already given me a new heart (not a heart of stone). But changing to flesh, feeling, and sensitivity takes time. Ezekiel 36:25-27
- All languages have significance. Unless I know the language, I will be a foreigner and the other speaker will be a foreigner to me. How can I love people if I don’t speak their language? 1 Corinthians 14:10-11
- Jesus drank the cup of God’s wrath for me. He took on my sins AND Almighty, Holy God’s fearsome wrath because of His love for me. Mark 14:36
- God sent his Son because we are worth it. He saw us not as we are now, but saw our potential. 1 John 4:9-10
- Simeon had God’s promise that he would see the Messiah before his death. He looked forward to it and stayed close to God so he heard the Spirit when it was time to go into the temple and see the Christ. When God gives me a promise do I expectantly look towards it’s fulfillment and stay close to God? Or do I just accept it will come and wait, continuing life in the same old way? Luke 2:26-30
- He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. If he started and will end the story of our faith, He is the one writing the story in the pages in-between as well. Hebrews 2:2
- I ate His words because they are my joy and delight. I bear His name. Jeremiah 15:16
- May God’s word be like a fire in my heart and bones so that I cannot hold it in but must share it. Jeremiah 20:9
- In the midst of swaying emotions He is my rock and my constant. In the midst of chaos He is my peace. Psalm 62:1-2
- I am hard-pressed but not abandoned. God, my gracious King, takes me from all the junk and puts me in a spacious place so that I see Him in the midst of everything. A spacious, beautiful place that causes me to worship and glorify Him in the midst of pain, uncertainty, and discouragement. Psalm 118:5
- God gives the words to say to sustain and awakes me each day to instruct me. Isaiah 50:4
- God gives us thing to enjoy. Am I enjoying them or just accepting them? 1 Timothy 6:17
- I am a stone. A stone is solid and does not crumble. I was chosen to be a part of the house that God is building. And He carefully chooses worthy stones that will withstand the pressure. He places me in the perfect place. 1 Peter 2:5
- If I treasure God, my desires will also be there. By treasuring the heavenly, my desires will come into sync with God’s. Matthew 6:21